Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Mourning

Why do you cry to no avail
When someone you love has gone?
Why does it take so long for you
To weep - then travel on?

In time, we all must die, it's true.
But must it be like this?
When I die, don't mourn for me,
Just kiss me a gentle kiss.

I'll remember all of you when I am gone -
Each love and hate we shared.
Remember me, also, is all I ask -
Even if you never really cared.

I'll be better off than you -
That is, after I'm dead.
Remembrances of my tragic death
Will never fill my head.

But you will have the memories,
Lodged within your soul,
Of how my life was good, or bad,
And stopped short of its goal.

So please don't cry to no avail
When I or a love has gone.
But trust us to the hands of God.
Bless us -- then move on.

Written by Wayne Hinton
(I don't remember the occasion - it might well have been early 1963 when a very close friend died in a car accident. I just can't be sure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment